Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Rock and Roll Riot – Christmas Wish List from December 20th, 2008



My final DJ gig of 2008 was, fittingly, at The Cameron House, a Christmas edition of my monthly night, Rock and Roll Riot. It wasn't the most packed house I've seen during my run at The Cameron, in fact it was pretty quiet overall, but I still had fun spinning some festive tunes, which I can only get away with once a year. Christmas music can be sappy and annoying, but it can also be alot of fun (mainly the vintage stuff for me), and I really enjoy dusting off my Christmas records for that brief month-long period at the end of every year when the spirit is in the air. Nothing says Christmas like The Ventures' Christmas Album, the classic Elvis Presley Yuletide recordings, or the Christmas Coctails compilations in the Ultra-Lounge series, to name but a few. So for my final songlist of 2008, you'll find a healthy dose of Christmas delights, along with the usual fare. It already seems like a distant memory, but I hope everyone out there had a good one...

31 songs from The Cameron House – December 20th, 2008.

The Ventures “Sleigh Ride”
Reverend Horton Heat “What Child Is This?”
Atomic 7 “Ivy Rocks”
Reverend Organdrum “Hang ‘Em High”
Huevos Rancheros “Wild Turkey Surprise”
The Riptides “Machine Gun”
Wanda Jackson “Riot In Cellblock #9”
The Crickets “I Fought The Law”
The Bobby Fuller Four “Love’s Made A Fool Of You”
High Noon “Mona Lisa”
Neko Case & Her Boyfriends “Bowling Green”
Chuck Berry “Run Rudolph Run”
Sleepy LaBeef “Boogie Woogie Country Girl”
Ricky Nelson “Stood Up”
Johnny Horton “North To Alaska”
Elvis Presley “Santa Claus Is Back In Town”
Eddie Cochran “Three Steps To Heaven”
Wes Dakus & The Rebels “Rattlesnake”
Les Paul “Jingle Bells”
Jon Rauhouse “Smoke Rings”
Scott B. “Sitting On Top of The World”
Big Rude Jake “Night of the Kingsnake”
John Hammond “If You Wanna Rock & Roll”
Tom Waits “Downtown”
The Black Keys “So He Won’t Break”
The Wild Magnolias “Soul, Soul, Soul”
Mavis Staples “Down In Mississippi”
John Lee Hooker “Blues For Christmas”
Los Straitjackets “Feliz Navidad”
Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet “Faster, Santa Claus, Ho Ho Ho”
Blue Mercury Coupe “Running Wild For Christmas”

1 comment:

baster said...

I think the phrase "rocking and rolling" originally described the movement of a ship on the ocean, but was used by the early twentieth century, both to describe the spiritual fervor of black church rituals and as a sexual analogy Pay for essay Custom-Papers.co.uk