Sunday, July 27, 2008

Rock and Roll Riot – 20 songs from July 26th, 2008


Rock and Roll Riot is the name of my regular DJ night, which happens once a month at the venerable Cameron House in Toronto. I've been doing this night for a number of years now, starting back in 2002 as an occasional fill-in gig, and gradually settling in to a monthly Saturday night slot. It's been a fantastic opportunity to spin tons of records, explore different musical avenues, and hang out at one of my favourite clubs. I take on other DJ gigs on occasion, often sharing the bill with live bands, but Rock and Roll Riot is my mainstay. The musical focus of Rock and Roll Riot is quite broad, and has evolved over the years, incorporating all sorts of different sounds and styles, eras and artists. Generally, the evening features healthy doses of rock and roll (1950s to the present), rockabilly, psychobilly, surf, instrumental, blues, punk, funk, rhythm and blues, new wave/post-punk, glam rock, novelty tunes, and lounge/exotica. Sure, that's alot of ground to cover, but that's part of the fun – I have a four hour time slot, which allows for a substantial selection of music each month. 

In my experience, most DJs tend to really focus on one particular sound or style of music, but I like to keep my mix diverse and unpredictable, to a certain point. I'm not playing contemporary dance music (ie. techno, electronica, house, hip hop, etc.), although much of what I play is actually very dance-oriented, but at the core is rock and roll, and it resonates outwards from there. The more eclectic and exciting, the better. My musical interests over the past decade have been increasingly directed back into the '40s, '50s and '60s, the early years of rock and roll, its roots in blues, rhythm and blues, jazz and country, and the rockabilly sounds that I loved in my youth, as well as instrumental rock and surf. This is rich musical territory, and much of the music of the era is as raw, vital, and original today as it was back in its day. And it's fun!

I don't keep meticulous charts or playlists – it would be next to impossible with the amount of songs I spin in a night – but I thought it would be an idea to post a brief snapshot of my set once a month. I'm not really sure exactly why I had the urge to do this, other than as a fun thing to do, and to keep some sort of record of the songs I've played to look back on after awhile. I usually forget pretty quickly what was played from month to month, so this will help me keep track. I was originally planning to list 10 songs per month, but decided that 20 might be a bit more representative. Files for The Mysterious Vault. And, if anyone reading the blog finds the music of interest, please come down to the Cameron House and hang out some Saturday night when I'm there!


20 Songs from The Cameron House – July 26th, 2008

New Order “Ceremony”

Echo And The Bunnymen “Evergreen”

Nouvelle Vague “Dance With Me”

Peter Bjorn and John “Let's Call It Off”

Handsome Ned “Wrong Side of the Tracks”

Ruby Ann “Dynamite”

The Bop Cats “One Hand Loose”

Roy Orbison “Domino”

Gene Vincent “Cruisin’”

Jack Nitzsche “The Last Race”

Brian Setzer “Flyin’ Saucer Rock and Roll”

Ray Condo And His Hardrock Goners “Blast Off”

Wanda Jackson “Fujiyama Mama”

James Brown & His Famous Flames “Night Train”

Booker T. & The MGs “Groovin’”

Reverend Organdrum “Honky Tonk (Side A & B)”

The Ventures “Needles And Pins”

John Cale “Gun”

The Stooges “Down On The Street”

The Lounge Lizards “Harlem Nocturne”


1 comment:

Greg Woods said...

I LOOOOOOVE Booker T's version of "Groovin"-- it is so beautiful.