Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Peek Inside the Mysterious Vault

Welcome to The Mysterious Vault!

The door has opened, and inside you will find a whole world of strange and interesting music, film, books, and beyond...

As a former music writer, and occasional film writer, I've been contemplating launching my own blog for awhile now. Trying to narrow down the focus wasn't easy. My interests are quite broad, and I wanted to keep the subject matter unpredictable and wide-ranging, while maintaining some sort of continuity. I still get the bug from time to time to write about things that excite, inspire, or amuse me, but I don't really have much desire to deal with the deadline-oriented nature of publications. The Mysterious Vault will suit my purposes just fine! Hopefully the reader will also discover something of value within the Vault.

Music and film were the obvious choice for subject matter, and I've decided to include books as well to broaden the scope of the blog. While numerous other things spark my interest, my main motivation to start a blog was to write about music and film. In fact, my original intent was to start a blog on music films exclusively, which would have been interesting enough to keep me going indefinitely. However, that would have ultimately been too limiting, and I don't have the time or energy to maintain additional blogs to explore related topics. I'll see how far this one goes! 

Without wanting to set too many guidelines for the subjects to be explored in The Mysterious Vault, I would like to provide an indication as to where my interests lie in the vast realm of music, film, and books. This is a very rough outline to be sure, but the Vault is shrouded in mystery, after all...

Music: rock and roll, rockabilly, jazz, blues, country, pop, surf, punk, new wave/post-punk, garage rock, glam, lounge, exotica, instrumental, ambient, electronic, shoegazer/dreampop, novelty tunes, soundtrack and much more. 

Film: "classic" films, film noir/crime/detective film, music film (concert films, documentaries, biopics), silent film, monster movies and horror, documentaries, Canadian film, foreign film, experimental and underground film, serials, b-movies, independent, exploitation/juvenile delinquent and drive-in films, sci-fi, westerns, and various permutations of the above.

Books: crime fiction (hard-boiled, pulp fiction, noir), biographies, general fiction, music and film books, beat generation writers, art books, sci-fi, comics, and more.

This is the beginning. I hope you enjoy what you find in the Mysterious Vault!

2 comments:

Ian Mackenzie said...

Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing what comes up.

Ian

Greg Woods said...

Welcome to Facebook! Oops! I mean....